Dear IS 49 Staff members,
On Monday February 3, 2014, the UFT members of IS 49 will be initiating our own disciplinary data collection system. The UFT members are taking this initiative to get students back in their engaging classrooms and enhance the learning environment. Unfortunately, the school has landed on the NYS Persistently Dangerous List for the second year in a row. The Dreyfus Online Occurrence Recording System, or DOORS (as in engaging lessons are taking place, don’t cut class and stay within the DOORS of the classroom), will work as follows:
- Once you observe, or experience, a disciplinary infraction, look up the infraction in the code book here: Disciplinary Code
- In addition to writing up and taking appropriate action for an occurrence like cutting (Infraction B03) with the DOE system, please also make a note documenting Time, Date, Location, Student Name and OSIS and what action was taken and by whom. (ie. On 1/28/14 after 4th period late bell, Justin Credible was roaming the halls of the 2nd and 3rd floor. Spoken to and brought to the attention of the dean by Teacher A.)
- That note in the form of a post it or email should go to any one of the Consultation Members (Cheryl, Nancy, Maryanna, Diane M, Mike S.)
- The Committee will enter it into the DOORS system using only the initials of the student and the first 7 numbers of their OSIS and we will keep track. It looks like this EXAMPLE
- Once we see a student has committed enough infractions to warrant administrative discipline, we will contact the administrators and request proper action be taken.
- If proper action, pursuant to the DOE’s Discipline Code, is not taken, then we will file the appropriate grievances.
UFT members, please remember these four points:
- Discipline is defined as learning, not punishment. However, a student who continuously cuts class, curses at teachers, hits their classmates and continues to be rewarded with trips and candy, is not learning.
- It is not because teachers do not have engaging lessons that the school has discipline problems. It is because discipline itself is lacking.
- The administration and district were informed of this system and I have heard no objections.
- It is on you now.